Friday, September 28, 2007

My Shameful Secret


My shameful secret is my bad grass in our patio area. We hate it!

When we first moved here, the back yard was hard packed dirt. This had been a rental house for years. The last occupants had lots of dogs.

There were some sprigs of grass on the fringes and I knew we could bring it back. SO didn't think so, but he is from the city so what does he know.

My sister who has been married for 40 yrs grew her lawn from sprigs my father would give her from our yard. It is St. Augustine grass and it develops through runners. I knew we could do the same here.

Well we did and it worked. The yard was beautiful. I also had to tell SO that you had to water the grass!

Anyway I had to move to Oklahoma and he stayed behind. A few years later he moved up with me. We hired someone to take care of the yard, cut not water. We had a drought and by the time we came back in April 2006, the grass was almost dead.

SO decided to plant a new type of grass. We are in the middle of 3 big grass farms out here. Acres and acres of the stuff. Trucks roll by with pallet loads almost every day.

We tried a Bermuda hybrid. It was nice for a while and then it fizzled out. I don't think we took care of it right and it didn't get enough sun.

We took that out and planted St Augustine again. It was beautiful for a while, but now all we have is this.

I wish we had tried to coax the old grass back like before, but SO was impatient. The rest of the yard looks nice.

I took this picture to keep a record of my efforts to save the grass. I've fed it and have been watering it. We had a lot of rain in the summer and that could have been a problem. We might have grubs; I still need to investigate that.

We'll see how it grows.

No comments: