Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Temper Tantrums



I thought I would expand on the tantrum of the day comment. It gets a little involved.

My SO and I have been together for a while now, maybe 10 yrs? I'm not a person who can remember dates, except for tests.

Anyway until I retired from the military and moved back home, we had never really lived together. We lived together for three years at my last base in military housing, but I worked and only saw him on the weekends and at night. You kind of just ignore things because you are too busy getting ready for the next day back in the trenches. He has been retired since 2000.

Now that we are together 24/7 things are different.

First he suffers from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome - PTSD. He was drafted and served in Vietnam in 1968. He was wounded twice and has two purple hearts. He has only told me one story about his time there and it was pretty horrific. Imagine going through things like that day after day.

He has episodes of anger that doctors link to PTSD. It is true because from sitting in VA waiting rooms I hear all kinds of stories. It is just hard for my little brain to connect it.

He can't sleep at night because of the nightmares. When he does wake up sometimes he just starts in with the angry comments.

The Damp Jeans

He was angry because his jeans were not dry. I asked him how long had he dried them. He said he didn't know, he just pushed buttons on the dryer - I told him "Well there you go".

I never do his laundry - too many details to remember - so why blame me for the damp jeans?

Frying Pan

I had just finished eating and the pan was still on the "stove" and he mentioned something about washing it right away so we don't get cockroaches. First we don't have cockroaches and I can wash the pan when I darn well feel like.

I usually just tell him to go back to bed!

He goes to therapy twice a week, but I don't think he will ever be normal.

I've had to go on Celexa because living with him can get a little nerve wracking.

It could also be my own form of PTSD.

I've decided to get angry back at him when he tells me something. I don't know if that is good. He has already said something about my messy room. I'm thinking DUDE, have you seen your closet and that mess of paperwork on your TV tray?

I told him last night "Leave me the hell alone" - in a laughing irritated way - not really mad.

It reminded me of his sister. She says her granddaughters tell her to "Leave me the fxxx alone". I would never use that language, but I know how they feel. But really you should not say things like that when you are 13. You might think it, but you don't say it. That is a whole other story.

I added the picture of our pergola to show some of the things he has built. He spends lots of time outside building fences and mowing the grass. It helps him relax. The pergola is a little crude, but it is nice. We've had good comments on it.

In the background of the picture, you can see the posts of another fence he has started. The brushy area in the back belongs to a neighbor at the other end of the block. We have our own brushy acre that runs partly behind our house and the houses of two other neighbors.

We'll also have to move the solar dryer. They were set in 1964. I told him I want to make sure we save that part of the concrete. In the corner is our little cactus garden.

The grass is yellow because he cut it real short back there. We've been getting so much rain, we cut it short so it won't get too tall before we have the chance to cut it again.

7 comments:

JenJen said...

Clem, I really enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing a link to your blog!

Now, as to answering anger with anger and developing PTSD as a result of living with someone with anger issues, I will say two things:

1. It's rarely effective to answer anger with anger. Yes, it can cause the person to stop and give more thought to what they say and how they react in the future, but it can also eat away at trust and create communication issues. BTDT. You have to do what's best for you, though.

2. Yes. I believe it is possible to develop PTSD in such circumstances. I've seen evidence of mild PTSD in myself since my ex passed on--certain things make me very jumpy. He never meant me any harm, but living with the problems he had (I think you are familiar with my situation) definitely damaged me.

I hope the two of you can find solutions that will bring you closer and allow you to live together in peace. It's good he gets to do things he enjoys. The yard looks nice!

~J/Spirited One

Unknown said...

Your SO did a marvelous job on the pegola. I really want one but my DH says we just do not have the room for one. {{{Sighs and much heaving of breast}}}

Clem said...

Jackie,

The pergola is very small. It is more decorative than anything else.

When we move the fence we plan on making a bigger pergola to set our patio furniture under. We've already bought the flagstone. He is researching on how to do the flagstone patio also.

Carpentry is the least of SO's skills, so I think he did a good job on the pergola. It is not fancy at all, but looks nice.

Clem said...

Hi J

Thanks for your response.

My speaking out has worked for me so far. Don't know about him, but sometimes you have to think of yourself first.

I get tired of being cautious and making sure I don't say the wrong thing. This is my house also, is what I've said and I can do what I want - darnit!

It has helped that I ask him more questions about his reactions and I tell him how he makes me feel.

He grew up in a "loud" family. I grew up in a very quiet family. Any loudness meant someone was REALLY REALLY mad. To him, it was just a way of communicating.

We'll see how it goes.

JenJen said...

Clem, the questions and sharing how you feel is a very good strategy. That's how D and I work through our stuff, and I used that method with my ex, who was...more like your SO.

I wish you much luck!
~J

Sharon said...

I haven't checked out your blog for awhile, so thought I'd stop by. I like your pictures! Do you sit under the pegola? SO did a great job! It's good that he keeps himself busy with projects. I know what you mean about having to stand up for yourself sometimes. My father worked in a factory and I felt like we always walked on egg shells when he was home so as not to set him off. He didn't do much but yell, but he sure was edgy! I'll try and check back more often.

Clem said...

Hi Sharon

No, we don't sit under it. It is above the double gates leading to the back yard. We are going to move it soon.

The plan is to build another bigger one for our patio.

Yep, I always tell SO to stay asleep as long as possible!

Was your father a combat veteran?